Monday, June 11, 2012

Wilderness... What for?

Imi writes...

The issue is of people or penguins... We enhance lives of the people, the penguins suffer and since people come before penguins, some would argue we don't need wilderness.

To this PP issue, I respond with the following two PP issues:

The Perfection Principle declares that Nature is awesome. Give Nature its due and in time you get an intricate, rich, Eco-system. Nature does not merely aim for balance. ("Balance of Nature"). Nature aims for balance of maximal diversity of species. Amazonia and healthy coral reefs are obvious cases in point, but even here in Quetico the maximal diversity for such a hostile region is also accomplished.

The Pollution Principle declares that meeting the many needs of humans comes at the cost of pollution. The more individuals demand, the more the earth gets scarred.

Some may object that meeting human demands is worth more than natural beauty. I say humans have a conscience. We just cannot affirm ourselves and our lives, if it results in deforming the earth. I declare even a hard, meager existence is bearable when surrounded by a radiant, resplendent earth....

A big day today...

Imi

See Howard's blog post for the day.
See Imi's previous blog post.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Imi, I'm picturing your trip as you both write about it, and of course, reading about your thoughts and feelings. We certainly are, each of us, on our own journey. Loosing my sight has been one of the things I have feared the most. As Howard describes your independence, I get a feeling that you are feeling a very cool freedom in the wilderness, and I like that. I do occasionally see you going for a walk in River Falls from my car, but I'm glad your terrain is much different today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imi,I am glad someone protected the wonderful wilderness you are enjoying. It reminds me of a protected park in Boise, Idaho consisting of a pond, natural grasses and woods with a pathway winding all around. I saw nests, ducks, birds, wild flowers...just a beautiful place preserved so anyone can see how it used to be. A Kindergarten class was walking through it on a field trip and one of the little boys who lived in the city asked, "Who put this here?!"

    ReplyDelete