Monday, June 11, 2012

A full-on day

Howard writes...

Soon after sending last night's blog off, the dark clouds moved in with strong winds, lightning bolts with the inevitable loud thunder following, but thankfully quite a while behind. What followed was a testing seven hours for both our new tents, as the wind and rain sought to destroy our homes! At 5am, we both surfaced to a new, colder, but clear dawn, praising their integrity, having survived without any major issues. This is the strange concept of fun, the other side of the paradox that makes us feel alive in our voluntary discomfort.

What a beautiful morning, and two squirrels playing in the tree above our breakfast place, their loud chirping easily mistaken for agitated birds. We were on the mirror-like lake by 6h15, both knowing today would test our portage skills, but neither bringing up the subject. Our issues would be different, we didn't need reminding, and they had to be dealt with on our own. It was just so nice being out on the water at this time of day, what maybe lay ahead was pushed to the back of our minds.

The first one was 750m long and a fairly level and grassy terrain; just what we needed. I took the canoe on my shoulders, Imi took the second heaviest pack and off we went. Imi insisted on this, and that I not wait for him, and he find his own way along the twisty forest path. He loves a challenge, and this was one. I got to the next lake, dumped the boat and returned to pick up the other bags. About half way back, I bumped into Imi, stumbling, but really happy and in his element. I got back to the boat with a tired body, just as Imi arrived too... We had made it in 40 minutes and finished as a perfect team. This was a good warm-up for what lay ahead... After another hour's paddling, Portage 2, for the day. Another 800m, but this one was to prove to be horrendous even for a sighted person..!

Same procedure: I checked with Imi, offering him the lighter bag, knowing that would mean 3 trips for me, instead of 2, but his resolve to rise to the challenge was unshakable. It was clear from the start this trail was difficult: calf-high mud, water, big tree roots, unexpected rocks, and lots of twists and turns. As I walked on ahead with the canoe on my shoulders, and stumbled on a particularly difficult section, I questioned whether I should stop and wait to warn Imi? Each time I concluded: "No, he would almost be insulted, and I know he want's to conquer the challenge alone. A few times I closed my eyes, and couldn't believe the sense of total vulnerability afoot I felt. Gee, was my decision to let him indulge in his challenge a responsible one, or was it his sole decision? I honestly was quite tormented.

Anyway, I reached the end, and our new lake, wondering where I'd bump into Imi on my return, and whether he was OK? It took me much longer than the previous portage to eventually meet him, and this in itself started my mind thinking of the worst case... He had slipped, fallen and broken his leg... Hmmm! I heard him close by, and shouted out if he was ok? "Man this is really tough and challenging," he replied. "Do you want me to take the bag, and then you follow me to the boat?" I asked. I knew the answer, but was hoping he wasn't going to get angry with me asking? "No, my friend, I want to do this alone; I have to, I'm actually having fun, even though I've fallen 5 times. This is MY challenge," he responded. "Good, I can see you are determined and committed. Mate, you are just bloody amazing!" I replied, and left for the other bags. On my return, I passed him about 75% of the way along his struggle, and we exchanged how difficult and unpredictable the path was. He had blood on his shins, but I could see the enjoyment of the challenge all written on his face.
I didn't have to ask him if he was ok, just said again: " Mate, you are just bloody amazing, and no pleasure paradox doubt for you! I'll see you at the canoe, whenever, don't stress, just go at your pace, and remember to lean forward with that heavy pack on."

It was really emotional when he arrived; it was so clear he felt he had conquered a huge personal goal, and, although not needing it, I confirmed that, and I also told him that this is just very special, I'm challenged with what I have to do and he is challenged with what he has to do, and we are sharing this amazing experience. I sensed a tear or two welled up, as he waveringly said: "I'm even getting very emotional now."

This is the essence of adventure, conquering the challenge at its very best, and we did a 'high five' to celebrate that moment. A seemingly small conquest for many, but you needed to be here to know it wasn't – it was huge!

Back in the water, our first paddle in a narrow, wandering creek, took us 2 kilometres through yellow lily infested waters, and over 4 flooded beaver dams, into another big lake  that was our next test. Strong winds, just off the bow, made for difficult paddling conditions, and two hours later, after a six-and-a-half-hour day, we beached at our very scenic campsite for the night ahead.

With dark clouds moving in quickly, we had the tents up with minutes to spare before the pitter-patter of rain forced us inside! Is this fun, many will ask...? Well, it was nice the way Imi described fun and pleasure last night, and for once I don't have to answer the question, as he has also given you my answer? At a corporate talk I gave recently, I asked the group of 50 or so how many thought skiing to the South Pole alone is fun? As expected nobody put their hand up... But I can honestly say it WAS fun! So, either I'm a weirdo (no responses please!) or we are busy redefining / understanding what fun is? I guess Imi added his philosophical bent yesterday, that either makes him a weirdo too, or the concept of fun is maybe not well understood, and confused with pleasure?

I always say that adventure should be Fun, Challenging, and Rewarding, and getting that balance of the three is part of the art of planning and defining adventures, no matter whether it's a physical work, or 'soft' adventure, I believe the same principles should apply...

Back at the campsite, the sun came back out, we had two beavers visit, and a 15cm long terrapin decided to come out the water and warm up in the sun on a rock right on our campsite front door! Otherwise, the odd loon, a few geese, and the evidence of moose tease our imaginations as to what abundance would be like.

Tomorrow we have a big course decision to make, whether we opt for the longest and challenging route, which once we take it we have to be totally committed, adding an increased measure of endurance and navigational challenge to the adventure... I'll let Imi decide!

Tell you tomorrow....!

The clouds moved back in and the rain is back. Maybe a cold dinner inside our tents tonight? What it's like to not be in charge of the basics, hey!

Till tomorrow ...

H
See Imi's blog post for the day.
See Howard's previous blog post. 

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Howard! The wild life and scenery sound spectacular...as I expected, but thank you for describing it because I picture all that you write about. I had to look up terrapin, but now I know...turtle. You have already seen so animal friends. It does sound like a lot of work to me, but I know you recognized that before you left, so I'm sure you are focused on the experience now. I think you are both brave because each of you have extra challenges. I look forward to each entry!

    ReplyDelete